Cape Hatteras Electric Cooperative is a member-owned, not-for-profit electric distribution cooperative that has served customers on Hatteras Island since 1945. Prior to that, the only electric service found on Hatteras Island was in Hatteras Village. The sparsely populated, barrier island was not considered a profitable venture by investor-owned utilities. Consequently, the founders and first members of Cape Hatteras Electric Cooperative literally took matters into their own hands and formed their own power company. Today, our cooperative has grown to serve over 7,500 accounts.
Our mission is to support our members and strive to enrich the quality of life for those who live and own property on Hatteras Island. Our top priority is to provide safe and reliable electrical service to Hatteras Island.
Our office is located at 47109 Light Plant Road in Buxton, North Carolina. Office hours are 8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday.
Cape Hatteras Electric Cooperative is a locally owned, managed and governed electric service provider dedicated to the safety of our employees, members and visitors, and a brighter future for the people and communities we serve.
Cape Hatteras Electric Cooperative is a highly valued, competitive, customer-driven organization focusing on:
- Price - striving for the lowest, most competitive rates
- Customer Service - Valuing all customers equally and treating each customer uniquely
- Staffing - recruiting and retaining the best-trained, dedicated and most proficient management and staff
- Planning - all plans shall be integrated targeting technical efficiency, plant optimization, financial heath and prudent equity management
- Governance - a Board that is proactive, caring, competent and responsive to the needs of the membership
- Marketing & Communications - exploring new markets, thoroughly marketing cooperative services and communicating cooperative benefits to the market
- Integrity - our quality of being moral, ethical and honest
- Accountability - a measurement to determine our merit
- Innovation - utilize full knowledge to provide excellent service through proven technology
- Community Involvement - strong relationship with and assistance in developing our communities
- Fairness - treat everyone with respect and courtesy
- Determination - particularly in the face of adversity and challenge
Board of Directors Meeting Schedule
The CHEC Board of Directors meets eight times at year to carry out their responsibilities. Meetings are typically held on the third Thursday of the month beginning at 3:00pm and are located at CHEC's office: 47109 Light Plant Road in Buxton, NC. Any member who wishes to attend a Board Meeting should notify the cooperative by calling (252)995-5616 prior to the scheduled meeting.
The 2020 Board of Directors schedule is as follows:
What is a Cooperative?